Sorry Can't Make That The Title But It's In There...

So today's big breaking news is that Obama has offered Hilary Clinton the position of Secretary of State. I had heard the names John Kerry and Bill Richardson being thrown around, and I was feeling cool with either of them. I have to say Clinton's name making it to the top of the heap all of a sudden, threw me a little. When I heard about it yesterday as a leak, I had trouble believing it.

Mostly because I have serious reservations about this. Hilary played it extremely tough and hawkish during the primary to try and not be seen as being a touchy feely lady in anyway, so it's hard to tell whether those were her real gut foreign policy positions or not. She also spent the majority of her campaign underplaying and mocking Obama on his experience in that realm. That didn't work out so well for her.

When I take a step back though, and think about this with the thought also in mind, that Obama is much  more of a political genius than I will ever be, I see things from a different angle. First off, we already know that Obama is a huge fan of Lincoln, and also Dorris Kearns Goodwin's book, "Team of Rivals," about how Lincoln choose many opposing view points for the heads of his cabinets, based on the idea that "It's better to have your enemies inside your tent, pissing out, than outside your tent, pissing in."

I'm not sure how much tent pissing Hilary would be involved in in either case, but I think you get the point. Also doesn't it speak volumes about the strength of your leadership if you can make someone who opposed you policies vehemently, fall in lock step and become a soldier for the cause? (Does that sound to militaristic? I don't want anyone else saying Obama is forming a Marxist army!) 

She has been around the world as first lady, even if not under sniper fire. She is known for being very good at "back door" diplomacy. I'm not really sure what that is, but it sounds like hot international revenge for Monica Lewinsky - you go girl! Seriously though, it doesn't hurt to have one of your harshest opponents become the smiling face of your new administration to the world. 

And as my dear friend Tamara put it so eloquently: "EVERY THUG NEEDS A LADY"

Comments

Unknown said…
You know, I think you might be a little too hard on Hill. She was running in a BIG campaign, and she was gonna use what she could against her opponents. I totally don't blame her. Give the woman a break, man. It is true, the guy doesn't have that much experience. You know, Joe Biden did the same thing to Obama, so did McCain. She is no different than anyone else. Also, I think it would be a GRATE idea to have her as Sec. of State. Did she and her husband not stand in front of Obama supporters and Hillary supporters and tell them that she supports Obama, and that they should too? What more do you want from her? She took it like a man, and supported her opponent and spoke highly of him in the end. I don't think Hillary should be grateful to have Obama ask her for the position, I think Obama should be grateful if he can get her to accept. Talk about a Power House! oh yeah, and Word Up Tamara!
NiNa* said…
Hey I am not saying she's not a very good politician. I am just saying she took foreign policy positions that I couldn't agree with, and I hope she sticks with Obama's plans.
Unknown said…
well yes... i will agree with you on that. by the way... PMS city is here. i be crazy.