A New Dialogue With Government


I don't care what anyone says, Obama picking Clintonites for his cabinet does not equate to more of the same in government. Today change.gov unveiled something very changey indeed. They call it their Open For Questions page, and it continues the mind blowing process of actually including America in American policy. You can ask any question you would like, and even more fun, you can vote on which questions you think should get answered first!

Now this sounded like a blast to me, so I decided to give it a whirl. One question I have had kicking around in my head, that is of no interest to the media apparently, is if the administration is going to take organic and local farming practices into account when creating their agriculture platform. It's something we haven't really heard too much about in terms of policy. So I though, alright there's my question.

When I got to the site, I was greeted by a conveniently placed little search bar, to see what questions have been asked. I typed in the word organic and several entries popped up.

"Will you hire a White House chef who reflects the new American cuisine of fresh, organic, and local produce (and flowers) grown locally?" 

Well Marc from San Rafeal, CA, that is a great question, but not the one I was going to ask, so I move to the next one.

"The President-Elect once remarked on a NYT piece by Michael Pollan, an opponent of the corn-based industrial agricultural model. Will the administration look to move us away toward a more organic model? Are specific ideas being discussed?"

Ooh, Mike from NYC, that is so exactly the question I wanted to ask, clearly! Complete with relevant solid reference and properly used hyphen! I click the hard-to-miss check next to the question to indicate my approval. I can also tell from the bars next to the question, that this has gotten many more yes votes than no, a good sign for my question! Err... Mike's question.. you know Mike from NYC who eats organic.

I ventured back to the main question page, where a random question will pop up for you to vote yes or no on.

"Did you witness corruption first hand in Chicago?" 

Jonathan from Austin, another good question, but one that is not likely to make it to the top of the list with the pages and pages of inquires posted on this site. "Let's see, not going to click the check and vote yes for it, but there's really no reason to vote no, Jonathan from Austin doesn't deserve the dreaded X..." I hover my mouse over the skip question button and what should pop up as an explanation of said button but "meh..."  "Meh... you say?! Why that is exactly how I fell about that question!" I didn't think I would ever meet the day when my very own government was culturally savy enough to use the word "meh..."

"Wow." I thought. "'Meh...' Now that's change I can believe in."

Comments